Monday, February 2, 2009

Radiology Action Comics

Prepare-for-death.png


Anyone who has ever published in a scientific journal has run head-first into the Instructions for Authors page of said journal. Usually the stylistic rules for a radiology paper are stodgy but sensible.

I was tickled to learn that the alternate universe of comic book publishing has its own grammatical and lettering traditions, as nicely depicted in this illuminating post by Nate Piekos.

For example, the word balloon in the image above commits the venial sin of...
OVERLAPPING BORDERS

I generally disapprove of placing a balloon over a border unless absolutely necessary due to space constraints. If at all possible, you're better off butting balloons to a border.
However, I have redeemed myself in the panel below by not using...

zzaaapp.png

SOUND EFFECTS PUNCTUATION

Sound effects lack punctuation with the one exception of when you intend to seem cartoony. A noise is not a word, and the emphasis and design aesthetic you impart when designing your sound effects should be enough to give it "punch".
I'll have to keep these style points on speed dial in my browser. They'll come in really handy when I put together the next issue of Radiology Action Comics™...

(via Daring Fireball)

No comments: