Saturday, March 22, 2008

Seeing An Apple Logo May Increase Creativity

Researchers at Duke University and the University of Waterloo have just released the results of a study which suggests that people may behave differently after being exposed subliminally to a brand's logo.
Automatic Effects of Brand Exposure on Motivated Behavior: How Apple Makes You “Think Different”. GrĂ¡inne M. Fitzsimons, Tanya L. Chartrand, Gavan J. Fitzsimons. Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 35, June 2008. Electronic version published March 4, 2008.
In this study, subjects exposed to the Apple logo for just 30 milliseconds exhibited more creativity than subjects similarly exposed to an IBM logo.

Interestingly, one of the study's authors
replaced his Thinkpad with a Mac three months ago. “I figure I’ll be walking by it everyday and sometimes I’ll see it without thinking,” he tells us. “I felt like if I really believe this stuff, I should put my money where my mouth is.”
This has inspired me to start planning a randomized controlled trial using my residents and medical students as guinea pigs. The question I want to answer: "Which will make them act smarter: staring at a brain MRI or a barium enema?"

(via Fake Steve Jobs and the Wall Street Journal)

No comments: